From Bell's History of Northumberland County, PA, 1891 - Page 981: B. K. HAAG, merchant, was born, January 9, 1817, in Berks county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of John and Mary C. (Knauss) Haag. His education was received in the subscription and common schools. At the age of twenty-one years he left his father's farm to begin a business life for himself, his first employment being in the general mercantile store of Geddes, Green and Walls at McEwensville, this county, where he remained four years. Following this were four years' service as a clerk in a general store in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.
In 1847 he came to Milton and formed a partnership with T. S. Mackey and Son, under the firm name of Mackey and Haag, dry goods and hardware. At the expiration of two years Mr. Haag withdrew from this connection and joined Montgomery Sweney, and for one year did a general dry goods and grocery business, under the firm title of Sweney and Haag. After one year's association with the concern of Haag and Caldwell, the stock was divided and Mr. Haag kept a store for a period on the present site of the Milton National Bank.
In 1853 he established his present hardware and book store, which was conducted under the firm cognomen of Haag and Brown until the panic of 1857, which compelled Mr. Haag to assume all responsibility of the business, and since then he has been alone until joined by his son-in-law, John Buoy. In 1863 he purchased a lot south of his present hardware room, of Elizabeth Miller, and in 1865 erected buildings on the same.
In 1875 his business block was burned, rebuilt, and again burned in 1880, and soon after rebuilt the second time. Besides this handsome brick block, he has constructed many dwellings in the town of Milton, including the Hotel Haag, which magnificent structure was erected in 1890 at a cost of over seventy-five thousand dollars, and opened up for business on April 1, 1890.
Mr. Haag was married, February 20, 1852, to Sarah Schuck, daughter of Philip and Catharine (Diebert) Schuck. She was born July 19th, 1821 in Union county, Pennsylvania, and to her union with Mr. Haag have been born six children: William A., deceased; Mary E., the wife of John Buoy; Charles H., deceased; Sallie, deceased; Thomas J.; and Hettie, the wife of C. A. Chapin. Mr. Haag was postmaster while at McEwensville and also trustee of school funds at the same place. He was appointed one of the distributing committee of the relief funds after the great fire of 1880. He was a director of the National Bank of Milton from 1865 to 1875.
From Floyd's History of Northumberland County, PA, 1911 - Page 976: Beneville K. Haag, son of John and Mary (Knauss) Haag, was born in Berks county Jan. 9, 1817. He received his education in the subscription and public schools of his native county, and came with his parents to Northumberland county in 1836. By the time he had spent two years on the farm his father bought here he had attained his majority, and he began clerking in the general store of Geddes, Green and Walls, at McEwensville. He was employed there for four years, during which time he gained considerable valuable experience in that line, as a large business in grain as well as in general merchandise was done at the store. The grain was hauled to Port May, near Watsontown, and shipped by canal.
In 1842 Mr. Haag became clerk in a general store in Lewisburg, continuing there until 1847, when he came to Milton and formed a partnership with T. S. Mackey and Son under the name of Mackey and Haag, dealers in dry goods and hardware. In 1849 this firm was dissolved and Mr. Haag formed a partnership with Montgomery Sweeney, with whom he did a general dry goods and grocery business for one year, under the name of Sweeney and Haag. His next association was as senior member of the firm of Haag and Caldwell, which lasted one year, at the end of which time the stock was divided, Mr. Haag taking the stand on what is now the site of the Milton Bank.
In 1853 he established the firm of Haag and Brown, dealers in hardware and books, which did business until 1857, when he took entire control, continuing the business for many years. In time his son-in-law, John Buoy, became a partner in the concern. In 1863 Mr. Haag purchased a lot on Front street from Elizabeth Miller, and in 1865 he erected a building on that property. in 1875 this block was burned, but he at once rebuilt it and continued the business. In the disastrous fire of May 14, 1880, which swept nearly all the business district of Milton, Mr. Haag's stores were again destroyed. He began rebuilding immediately, putting up the block now owned by his son-in-law, John Buoy.
After this fire Mr. Haag invested in a number of lots on Front street, south of his business block, and on his newly acquired land put up other business places. In 1889 he erected the “Haag Hotel”, now known as “The Milton”, which was opened to the public April 1, 1890. This is still the largest building in Milton and one of the finest hotel buildings in the city. Mr. Haag was a director of the National Bank of Milton from 1865 to 1875.
On Feb. 20, 1852, Mr. Haag married Sarah Schuck, who was born July 19, 1821, in Union county, Pa., daughter of Philip and Catherine (Diebert) Schuck. Six children were born to this union: William A., deceased; Mary E., who married John Buoy; Charles H., deceased; Sallie, deceased; Thomas T.; and Hettie, wife of C. A. Chapin. While at McEwensville Mr. Haag was postmaster, and he was also a trustee of the academy. After the great fire of 1880, in Milton, he was appointed a member of the distributing committee which handled the relief funds.