This land is located in Milton, Northumberland County, PA, and is occupied by the Milton Realty building and the adjacent building along Broadway, formerly known as the “Cadwallader Block”. Milton Realty and the Cadwallader Block can be seen at the Milton History site.
Seth Cadwallader came with his parents to Milton in 1812, at the age of 16. The family were Welsh Quakers from Horsham, Montgomery Co., PA. Between 1823 and 1854 he was a merchant and partner with Seth Iredell, another Quaker. On March 31st, 1845, he bought this property along Broadway between Front and Elm streets, marked Lot No. 1 on the borough plan, from the estate of Bethuel Vincent. Vincent, an innkeeper, bought it from Andrew Straub on July 12, 1796.
In his will, Seth left the property to his son Hammond and daughter Katherine (McConkey) after the death of his wife Elizabeth (Hammond), who died June 3, 1880. Son Albert bought Katherine's half ownership on Sep. 17, 1881. On Sep. 2, 1899, he bought his brother's half ownership, making himself the sole owner.