Matches 1 to 50 of 1,306

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Edwin's mother, Matilda Eachus Worrell, died on November 2, 1835 when Edwin was not quite 26 months old. Shortly after his mother's death, Edwin was taken and raised by his Uncle Emmor and Aunt Sarah Eachus, who had no children of their own. Apparently they did not also take Edwin's sister Hannah.

We do not know where Edwin Worrell lived in his early years, but he did not go back to live with his father after Lewis remarried in 1838. The 1840 Census shows an Amer Eachus living in East Nantmeal Twp., Chester Co., PA. When Edwin's grandfather, Evans Eachus, died in 1853 and his executors advertised for sale a farm belonging to him in Thornbury Twp., Delaware Co., PA, the newspaper item refers to one of the executors as Emmor Eachus of East Nantmeal. This suggests that Edwin spent his early childhood in East Nantmeal.

Edwin's grandfather, Evans Eachus, had acquired a farm in Upper Providence before 1800 and was recorded there in each census from 1800 to 1850. On the 1850 Census, Evans gave his occupation as "none". His household then included Emmor Eachus, Sarah Eachus, and Edwin E. Worrell. Since Evans was 86 years old in 1850, it is probable that his son Emmor had taken over the management of the Upper Providence farm sometime between 1840 and 1850.

When Evans Eachus died in 1853, he bequeathed the Upper Providence farm to his son Emmor. Emmor lived there until he died in 1878. Emmor then bequeathed the farm to the children of his nephew, Edwin E. Worrell. Edwin managed the farm from that time until it was sold in 1913. This suggests that Edwin lived on the same farm in Upper Providence for about 65 years.

Edwin Worrell was a farmer all his life. In the 1860 Census he was in the household of his Uncle Emmor Eachus, was 27 years old, and showed his occupation as "farm hand."

Edwin also operated a general store for a number of years. This store was located on the Eachus farm, because in his 1878 will, Emmor Eachus bequeathed to his nephew Edwin "the store house and six acres of land where he now lives." We do not know when Edwin started operating the store. But it was before 1870 because on June 8, 1870 the Delaware County American carried the following news item: "Edwin E. Worrell has been appointed Post Master of 'Upper Providence,' located at the store kept by him. The appointment is an excellent one."

Edwin served on the School Board for at least one term. Along with his future father-in-law, Pratt Bishop, he was one of the founders of the Rose Tree Fox Hunting Club in 1859. The announcement of the founding says that "Every member of the club was an active and trained fox hunter." He was sufficiently well-known to receive a separate writeup in Cope and Ashmead's 1904 book on Chester and Delaware Counties.

Edwin Worrell married a neighbor, Maggie E. Bishop, on February 6, 1867. The Bishop lands adjoined the Eachus farm, and Maggie's father, Pratt Bishop, had his own farm just a short distance down Providence Road from the home of Emmor Eachus. Edwin was 33 years old and Maggie 28 when they married, and they must have known each other for some twenty years.

The following ad was published in the Delaware County American on March 2, 1870: "PUBLIC SALE - WILL BE SOLD AT PUBLIC sale, at the residence of the subscriber, in the township of Upper Providence, Delaware Co., on WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16th, 1870, the following personal property .... EDWIN E. WORRELL."

We do not know the reason for this sale nor exactly what Edwin was selling just three years after he married. It was not a Sheriff's Sale so apparently did not involve a debt.

We do not know why the farm was sold in 1913 after being in the family for over 110 years. Emmor Eachus in his 1878 will bequeathed the farm to his wife, Sarah, during the term of her natural life. After the death of his wife, the plantation was to go "to such of the children of my said nephew Edwin Worrell as shall then be living." The farm was operated by Edwin Worrell from 1878 until 1913, but he may have been acting as a trustee, first for Aunt Sarah and then for his children. The three sons may have decided in 1913 that they wanted their shares.

Edwin and Maggie lived for the rest of their lives on the farm of their son Channing near Rose Tree, Delaware Co., PA. Edwin died in his sleep at the age of 87. When he did not appear as usual for breakfast, someone went looking for him and found him dead. Maggie survived him by only a little over a year. She died of cancer. They are buried together in the Media Cemetery.
WORRELL, Edwin Eachus (I936)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: He taught school before and after the Civil War. During the war he served in the infantry. He then studied medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and received his MD degree in 1867.

Jonathan practiced in Media, PA for some years, but moved to Terre Haute, IN in 1872, when he was 28, and spent the rest of his life there. He was an outstanding medical specialist and was recognized in the National Cyclopedia of American Biography. He married Mary E. Plumstead. They had no children.
WORRELL, Dr. Jonathan Pyle M.D. (I6049)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: In the 1860 Census, when Hibberd was seven years old, an Anne G. Bartlett, who gave her profession as "lady", was living with his family. It is possible that Anne Bartlett was a widowed sister of Hibberd's mother and that Hibberd was named after her late husband.

In the 1870 Census, Hibberd was 18, living with his father in Philadelphia, and gave his profession as "clerk". He married Sarah Glenn in Philadelphia. They had one daughter.

Hibberd was a real estate broker in Philadelphia with the firm of B. F. Glenn & Son [presumably his father-in-law.] It was Hibberd who first notified his half-brother, Edwin Worrell in Upper Providence, of their father's death

WORRELL, Hibberd Barrett (I6050)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Lewis Worrell's aunt, Mary Maris Worrall, married a man named Joseph B. Leedom, who was associated with Lewis' grandfather in the milling business. It seems probable that the "J" in J. Leedom's name stood for Joseph. The 1860 Census shows a J.L. Worrell, aged 20, living with his father Lewis in Tredyffrin Township, and gives his profession as "miller".

The 1870 Census shows J. Leedom and his wife and daughters in Tredyffrin and again gives his profession as "miller". Since by 1870 his father had moved to Philadelphia, it seems probable that Leedom had taken over his father's mill. In 1882, Leedom was living at 1424 Bouvier Street in Philadelphia.

J. Leedom Worrell died in Philadelphia on December 26, 1916. He was a Quaker all his life and his obituary appeared in the Friends Intelligencer on December 30, 1916.
WORRELL, Joseph Leedom (I6048)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: The 1860 Census shows Lewis L. Worrell living in Tredyffrin Twp., Chester Co., PA with a family that included a son Washington, aged three. Washington does not show in Lewis Worrell's family in the 1870 Census, so he may have died before then.
WORRELL, Washington (I6051)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Caleb Yarnall apparently was a farmer in Edgmont Twp., Chester Co., PA all of his life. He did own some land in Middletown, which he left to his son John, but the home farm was in Edgmont. He served in some capacity in the Revolutionary War and is listed in the DAR Patriots Index.

Caleb Yarnall's will was signed on October 17, 1799 and probated on November 25, 1800. He left his son Owen 22 acres of land in Edgmont and 50 pounds. Daughters Agnes and Phebe were each left 100 pounds and son Caleb was to receive 200 pounds, "when he shall arrive to the age of twenty one years." Son John was given the residue of Caleb's estate, including lands in Edgmont and Middletown. But John was required to pay the money to his brothers and sisters, to pay his mother 100 pounds in cash, provide her with specified foodstuffs, fuel, priviledges of use of certain rooms and the garden, and finally to pay his mother 12 pounds yearly during her widowhood. Since Phebe never remarried and died at the age of ninety-eight only one year before her son did, John inherited a lifetime responsibility along with his land.

Caleb Yarnall and Phebe Minshall Yarnall were buried in the Middletown Friends Burial Ground.

YARNALL, Caleb (I6199)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: David moved to Philadelphia as a young man and established a successful business as an ironmonger. He never married. He left about half his estate to his sister, Matilda. He is buried in Media Cemetery in the same plot with Matilda and her family and his brother Preston.
YARNALL, David D. (I6184)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Hannah was one of the beneficiaries listed in the will of her grandfather, Evans Eachus Worrell, which was written in 1848, so she lived at least that long. The will contains an interesting provision: "in case either of my said grand children (children of my daughter Matilda Worrell) shall depart this life before said legacy shall become payable then in such case the said legacy shall go to the survivor." Perhaps Evans was implying that his grand daughter was not in the best of health and might not live to attain the age of twenty-one.

Hannah did not appear in the household of her father, Lewis L. Worrell, in the 1850 Census.

Hannah also did not appear as a member of Evans Eachus Worrell's household in the 1850 Census. Her brother Edwin does appear in that household in 1850. He had been taken in and raised by his Uncle Emmor Eachus and Aunt Sarah after Edwin's mother died. Emmor and Sarah were living on the farm with Evans Eachus in 1850.

This raises the possibility that Hannah was also taken in by one of her mother's or father's relatives after her mother died. Her mother had nine brothers and sisters. Three of them died young and were buried at Middletown. A fourth must have died before 1848 because Evans Eachus did not mention him or her in his will. A sister Mary married Abel Green and had children, but she died in 1826 before Hannah was born. Sister Esther married George B. Howard, Sister Hannah married Jeremiah Bishop, and Brother Eber married Priscilla Bishop, but Hannah was not in any of their households in the 1850 Census.

Hannah's father Lewis Worrell had only one half-sister, Rebecca. She married Jabez Wright in 1823 and had four children, two of whom were born after Hannah. We have not found any evidence that Hannah lived with the Wrights. Lewis Worrell had a number of aunts and uncles but they would have been rather old to take in a baby in 1835.

Lewis Worrell remarried to Rebecca Pyle in 1838 but he does not appear anywhere on the 1840 Census. Hannah was not living in her father's household at the time of the 1850 Census.

We have not been able to find Hannah anywhere in the 1850 Census, which was the first one to list the names of members of the households. It is possible that Hannah married and would have appeared in the Census under her married name. But in 1850, she would have been only 15 years old.

The 1860 Census contains a fascinating item. Emmor Eachus, his wife Sarah, and Edwin E. Worrell were living on the old Eachus farm. A carpenter named Franklin Sill and his large family lived on the farm next to them. Included in the Sill household was Hannah Worrell, age 24, a domestic. She was the right age to have been Hannah C. The Sills did not live on that farm in 1850 and we have not been able to find Hannah in any Sill household in the 1850 Census.

It is entirely possible that Hannah died sometime between 1848 when her grandfather wrote his will and the time when the 1850 Census was taken. I never heard any mention in my family of the fact that my grandfather had had a sister and only learned about her when I read Evans Eachus' will. This suggests that she probably died too young to have been known or maybe even heard about by my father and his brothers.
WORRELL, Hannah C. (I6045)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: He came to America on the Bristol Comfort, which arrived at Upland, Delaware Co., PA on October 1, 1683. Sheppard in Passengers and Ships prior to 1684 says Francis was granted a warrant for 100 acres in Springfield township on October 17, 1683. He settled on land close to that acquired by George Maris, who had been a fellow passenger on The Bristol Comfort. Smith in History of Delaware County says Francis settled on rented land. But Sheppard says that Francis sold 50 acres of this land to George Maris, Jr. on January 1, 1685.

In 1686, Francis Yarnall acquired 510 acres of land in Willistown Twp., Chester Co., PA adjoining the Edgmont Township line. He lived there the rest of his life. Francis was a substantial and successful citizen. In 1703 he acquired a patent for 400 acres next to the land reserved for the Indians. In his will he made specific bequests of almost 500 acres in addition to the bequest to his wife of the remainder of his land and the place he then dwelt on. In 1711, Francis was a member of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. 
YARNALL, Francis (I6298)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: He moved to Philadelphia, probably following his brother, David, and established a very successful business career. Family tradition says that Preston and David were profiteers during the Civil War. Whether this was true or not, he died a wealthy man and gave his occupation in his will as "gentleman". He never married.

In his will, he left substantial sums to his two half sisters, their children and the children of his sister Matilda, and various charities. But sixty percent of his estate went to Matilda. He is buried in Media Cemetery in the same plot with Matilda and her family and his brother David.
YARNALL, Preston (I6182)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Matilda's father, Owen, died when Matilda was only nine months old. Her mother was left with four children, the oldest of whom was only nine. Margaret Dunn Yarnall appears in the 1820 Census as head of her family. On May 15, 1823, she married Evan Evans of Delaware County. Matilda's mother Margaret and Evan Evans had two daughters, who were half-sisters of Matilda.

Matilda Yarnall married Pratt Bishop on December 26, 1839 and went to live on his farm in Upper Providence. Matilda apparently was very close to her unmarried brothers, David and Preston. In her will, she specifically leaves their pictures to two of her daughters. She was the chief beneficiary in both of their wills, and was quite well-to-do after Preston died. She inherited $20,000 from David and $103,000 from Preston. She gave a substantial gift to the Media Presbyterian Church in 1884 to build a Preston Yarnall Memorial Chapel at Blue Hill in Upper Providence. By 1926, the chapel was no longer needed, so it was razed and the property reverted to the estate.

Matilda wrote a nine page will on October 30, 1888. In it she divided her furniture and other cherished possessions among her eight daughters (daughter Matilda had died unmarried in 1883) and various grandchildren. This included an organ, piano, and music cabinet, which suggests that Matilda was musically inclined. She established a trust fund with her Philadelphia real estate plus $30,000, the income from which was to be equally divided among her eight daughters annually during their lifetimes, and after their deaths the principal was to be divided among their children. She set up a fund of $12,000, from which $400 was to be paid to each of her grandchildren when they came of age. She also provided that the residue of her estate was to be divided equally among her eight children. Since she left 8 children and 22 grandchildren, even her substantial estate did not make any of them rich.

Matilda Yarnall Bishop died on March 7, 1895. She is buried in Media Cemetery in the same plot with her husband Pratt, her daughter Matilda, and her brothers David and Preston. One large flat gravestone marks the graves of all five.
YARNALL, Matilda (I6021)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Owen Yarnall was a carpenter, or perhaps a cabinetmaker. He died intestate and the inventory of his estate shows a stock of lumber, carpenters tools, and a shop. It also shows farming tools and equipment, some livestock, and seed. He clearly did some farming, but that does not seem to have been his primary occupation. The inventory of his estate does not show any land or buildings, but that may have been on a separate inventory.

When Owen's father died in 1800, he left to Owen 22 acres of land in Edgmont Twp., Chester Co., PA, but Owen was in Upper Providence in the 1810 Census and that was given as his place of residence when he died in 1818. We do not know what he did with the Edgmont property nor whether he owned land in Upper Providence.

Owen Yarnall died when he was only 39 years old. His father, Caleb, died at the age of 56 and his grandfather, Thomas, at the age of 59, so the Yarnalls apparently were not long-lived people. Still, the fact that Owen died intestate and with many obligations - both credits and debts - outstanding suggests that his death was not anticipated and may have been a complete surprise. He was buried in the Middletown Friends Burial Ground.

Owen Yarnall apparently conducted a lot of business with reasonable success. His executors collected bonds and notes held against 8 people for a total of $2,977. They collected $1,100 on debts owed to him by 40 people. They found $254 cash on hand and $128 in advance on sales. His other personal possessions were appraised at $1,012, giving a total gross estate of $5,472. Against this they paid out charges of $509, of which $262 went to 41 individuals. This left a net estate of $4,963.59, which was a good bit of money in 1818. To this must be added the net value of any real estate that he may have owned. The number of people with whom Owen was involved as creditors and debtors indicated an active and complicated business.

When Owen died, he left his widow Margaret, with four children, the oldest of whom was only nine. She was listed as head of her household in the 1820 Census, but remarried in 1823 and had two more daughters.
YARNALL, Owen (1) (I6114)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Philip Yarnall may have come to America with his older brother, Francis, on The Bristol Comfort which arrived at Upland, Delaware Co., PA on October 1, 1683. Francis Yarnall acquired 100 acres in Springfield, Delaware Co., PA and Philip apparently lived with his brother there for some years. He may have continued to live with him after Francis acquired land in Willistown Twp., Chester Co., PA in 1686 and married Hannah Baker. The fact that Philip later married Hannah Baker's niece Dorothy suggests that he may have been living with Francis and Hannah when he met Dorothy.

The Yarnalls were Quakers and the brothers were members of the Darby Monthly Meeting while they lived in Springfield.

Philip Yarnall eventually acquired land in Edgmont Twp., Chester Co., PA and married Dorothy Baker, the niece of his brother's wife Hannah. 
YARNALL, Philip (I6247)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: Pratt Bishop was born on a farm in Upper Providence Twp., Delaware Co., PA which had been in the family for several generations. He was named after the family of his paternal grandmother, Priscilla Pratt.

We do not know very much about the early life of Pratt Bishop. Cope and Ashmead in Chester and Delaware Counties say that his father was a miller and "in this occupation he was succeeded by his son Pratt." However, in 1856, shortly before his death in 1857, Amor Bishop conveyed his grist and sawmills, not to Pratt, but to Pratt's brother Washington. By 1848, Pratt had his own farm adjoining the Bishop family farm, whose owner is shown as the "heirs of Thos. Bishop" on the 1848 map. Pratt may have been involved in the family milling business, but was certainly a full-time farmer by 1856.

Pratt apparently was an active and sociable man. He served on the School Board numerous times. When the Rose Tree Club was first formed in 1859 at the old Rose Tree Inn, (Rose Tree, Upper Providence Twp., Delaware Co., PA) every member of the club was an active and trained fox hunter. Among the founding members of the Club were Pratt Bishop, Thomas Bishop, Washington Bishop, and Edwin E. Worrell.

When Pratt's wife, Matilda, inherited a substantial sum of money from her brother Preston in 1878, Pratt sold his farm to his daughter Priscilla and her husband Charles Moore. Then he and Matilda moved to Media, where she bought or built a large house in which they lived the rest of their lives. This house at Baltimore Avenue and Monroe Street is still in good repair and occupied as a funeral home in 1994.

Pratt Bishop died at home in Media at the age of 76. He died intestate, and the inventory shows his estate consisted of a bond and mortgage given by Charles and Priscilla P. Moore for the farm, interest due on the same, cash in the bank of 713 dollars, 1 horse, 1 gun and shot pouch, and 1 saddle and bridle. The house, furniture, and investments were the property of his wife Matilda. But a net personal estate of $5,500 was not bad for 1888.

Pratt Bishop is buried in Media Cemetery with his wife Matilda, his daughter Matilda, and his brothers-in-law David and Preston Yarnall. One large flat gravestone marks the graves of all five. 
BISHOP, Pratt (I6020)

BIOGRAPHY by Albert Cadwallader Worrell: When Evans Eachus died in 1853, he bequeathed the Upper Providence farm to his son Emmor. Emmor lived there until he died in 1878. Emmor then bequeathed the farm to the children of his nephew, Edwin E. Worrell.
EACHUS, Emmor (I6055)

Biography by Jeanenne Pickett: 'Poteet and Maret - Home of Good Things to Eat' was the emblem for the new general merchandise business that was opened in Curtis in 1912. This establishment occupied the main floor of the newly constructed building that was built for them by L.R. Langevin on the west side of Main Street (now known as 115 Center Avenue).

Arthur Poteet was born on near Maysville, Missouri. He accompanied his mother, Catherine Poteet and her other children to Frontier County Nebraska in the spring of 1908. Arthur Poteet had been connected with the general merchandise business for several years. He worked for Keiths in 1910 and 1911. Arthur's partner and brother in-law, Ira Maret, was also from Maysville, Missouri.

In the store, the complete stock of goods was large and well arranged with the dry goods being in the northern half and grocery line in the southern half of the building.

Ira Maret cut meat and stocked eggs, besides the usual business of running a store. He also was an entertainer, especially for the young customers, as he made sounds to imitate birds and chickens.

In 1916, the Marets moved to Stoneham, Colorado and Willard Poteet became a partner with his brother Arthur. They changed the name of the store to Poteet Brothers Mercantile.

Lillie (Floron) Carlon worked at the store and Raymond Fitner worked as a delivery boy.

Tin token money was given to customers for eggs instead of cash. This token money was then used in trade.

Arthur was a willing worker and booster for the community. He held various public offices in the town. The customers reported that both Arthur and Willard were always very cheerful energetic and completely accommodating. Deliveries were made regularly. First with the usual horse and buggy, then the Poteets bought a REO truck. This was the first delivery truck in Curtis.

The Poteet brothers were building a most satisfactory trade. Life seemed to he fulfilled for each with a happy and loving family when tragedy struck. Arthur Poteet died Novem­ber 8, 1918, of Spanish influenza and pneumonia. Willard Poteet died also of the Spanish influenza and pneumonia just two weeks later on November 16, 1918. The store was sold at that time.
POTEET, Arthur (1) (I5601)

Biography by Jeanenne Pickett: Stella Blanche Hinton was born in a sod house on her parents' homestead southwest of Stockville, Nebras­ka. She attended school at the Rising Sun School District #31.

She and her family, along with four of her father's brothers and their families and several neighbors made a trip by covered wagon to Texas in the year 1901 to put in a new railroad. Stella's grandfather, William Hinton, had a sorghum mill and her grandmother, Sophia (Mangus) Hinton, would cook and skim the molasses. This was a gathering place for the children as they were given a piece of cane to chew on.

Stella's maternal grandparents, Robert Cas­tor and Elizabeth Jane (McDo­nald) Castor lived on a farm near Farnam, Nebraska, and moved to Wichita, Kansas about 1900. Stella married Arthur Poteet and lived in Curtis where Arthur and his brother-in-law, Ira Maret, owned a general store, Poteet & Maret. In 1916, Willard Poteet bought out his brother-in-law and they changed the name of the store to Poteet Brothers Mercantile.

After her husband died in 1918, Stella Poteet and her four children moved to Wichita, Kansas, where her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Hinton, lived. She worked in her father's grocery stores. Having kept her house in Curtis, in 1930 she and her family moved back to Curtis. Stella later married Lloyd Russell Grunden. They lived on several farms at Curtis, Wellflett, and Orafino until 1959 when they moved into Curtis.

Stella loved to cook and was always fixing goodies for someone. She played the piano and organ. She had an old pump organ with which she would entertain her visitors.

One of the many memories she shared with her grandchildren was when Arthur Poteet would 'come-a-courtin'. Arthur had inherited his family's love of beautiful horses and he owned a fine pair of fast horses which he hitched to a nice buggy. On these happy and exciting rides, they would race with some of the other travelers along the road.

Stella joined the United Brethren Church at Wichita and Orafino. Later she transferred her membership to the United Methodist Church in Curtis. She was a member of the Congregational Church Ladies Aid, the Royal Neighbor Lodge and the Rebekah Lodge. Stella and Lillie Carlon organized the Gay 60's Club in Curtis. Stella was a happy and optimistic person, and her many friends and family enjoyed being with her. She lived next door to the Curtis rest home where she would visit and help care for the residents.
HINTON, Stella Blanche (I6300)

BIOGRAPHY: George Stahl, son of Johann Philip, was born on the farm where he afterward made his home, and received his education in the local public schools. Though his advantages were limited, he received a practical foundation and being an intelligent man became well informed. He followed farming all his life, dying at his old home in 1894, and the present set of buildings on the place were put up by him. He was quite active in the affairs of his day, being a supporter of the Democratic party in political matters and a member of the Reformed Church on religious questions. He served in the State militia, in which he was orderly sergeant; served six years as school director, was supervisor and township treasurer, and a useful man generally in his community. He was an earnest worker in the Paradise Church, serving as deacon, elder and trustee, and was a man of high Christian character, respected by all who knew him. His grandfather, John Stahl, in company with Michael Koons and John Deiffenbacher, had purchased two acres of ground from John Christ for the sum of fifteen pounds, and on that plot the first church of the congregation was erected in 1808.
On May 2, 1843, Mr. Stahl married Elizabeth Deshler, who was born in Northampton county Sept. 26, 1817, daughter of Jacob Deshler, of Northampton county, who came to Northumberland county in the early thirties; his wife was a Hower. Mrs. Stahl died Jan. 16, 1860. She and her husband had the following named children: William J., of Union county, Pa., who married Sarah Watt and had two children, one being Edwin (living in Indiana); Thomas P., unmarried, who lives at McEwensville, Pa.; Mary E., unmarried, of Aaronsburg, Pa.; Levi H.; Edwin O., born March 4, 1850, of McEwensville, who married Mary A. Menges (born June 21, 1861, died Dec. 9, 1895) and had four children; John O., who died in 1862, aged eleven years, and David F., who died in 1862, aged nine years, both dying of diphtheria; and George Calvin. 
STAHL, George (I158)

Biography: I was born in a house on S. Front Street just above the railroad underpass. The house went in the 1894 Flood. Then lived at the rear of Mahoning Street just across from Brown Avenue.

When I was 13 years old my parents moved to Montgomery, Pa. I had worked a short time for William Mull, at a Bakery on Mahoning Street near my home. He persuaded my parents to leave me with them. I worked for him before and after school, learning the trade and delivering the products in Milton and rural districts, by horse and wagon in the country.

I graduated from Milton H.S. in 1911 and stayed with the bakery until 1913 when compelled to leave on account of an asthma condition.

I went to live with Aunt Carrie (Esther Caroline) Woodling on S. Front Street, who had a Laundry and then worked at Shimer's Cold Punch Nut Department during that Winter.
WOODLING, William Lloyd (I4259)

BIOGRAPHY: In 1854 at age 16, he sailed from the port of Neiderwilder for America. On the way 32 days, in a storm the ship grounded on an island off the New Jersey coast, so that passengers had to be taken off and sent to harbor in smaller boats. He spent one night in New York before going to Philadelphia with seven coppers in his pocket. He worked in a coal yard for nine days, earned $13.50 and then went to Trenton, New Jersey where he worked for two years as an apprentice in a cabinet shop. Then, with a Mr. and Mrs. Jaggerman, he came to Madison County, Illinois. For five months he worked on a farm for a Mr. Wetzel, then went to Pana, Christian Co., Illinois where he worked for two years as a carpenter. Then he returned to Madison County to work at his trade as a carpenter.

In 1859 he married Miss Ida Rueggor, who was born in Switzerland in 1838. She came to Monroe, Green Co., Wisconsin when 15 years of age.

They had five sons and three daughters. Lena, August, Edward, Otto, John, Adolph, Emma, and Bertha. Lena, August and Edward died in childhood. Mrs. Ochs passed away October 21, 1911.

(Taken from “Madison County, Illinois and its People”, Centennial History, 1812 to 1912.) 
OCHS, Nickolaus (I5751)

BIOGRAPHY: John Haag, son of Andrew, was born near Bowers, in Berks county, Feb. 12, 1794. In 1836 he moved to Northumberland county, settling in Turbut township, where he purchased a farm of 160 acres from the Kelchner estate. There he made his home and followed farming until his death, which occurred Jan. 17, 1861. He married Elizabeth Knauss, also of Berks county, born Jan. 21, 1795, who died March 21, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Haag were members of the Paradise Lutheran Church, of Turbut township, and they are buried in the cemetery of that church. Seven children were born to them: John; Catharine (deceased), who married Peter Klapp; Beneville K.; Elizabeth (deceased), who married Jacoby Hartman; Rebecca, who married William Balliet and lived in Montour county; Hattie, who married William Gouger and also lived in Montour county; and Sarah, deceased. 
HAAG, John (I257)

Biography: My great-aunt Carrie (Esther Caroline) and her sister (Emma Rebecca) lived in Milton on Front Street during the flood of 1936. Their house was 2 stories. The first floor had 12 foot ceilings. (They ran a laundry from the back of the house and had a great big ironing machine that ironed bed sheets.) I remember Dad went over to help them move all their belongings up to the second floor. The weather report said the river would peak at 10 feet so they should be fine living on the second floor until the water subsided. Well the river didn't stop rising at 10 feet and they actually got a couple inches on the second floor. When the water went down I remember it being really eerie because there were mason jars stuck to the ceiling. The concave lid formed a vacuum so they stuck tight when the water went down. There weren't a lot of them but it really looked odd.
WOODLING, Carroll Hartman (I6498)
Biography: Elias Rattge (or Redche), the first of the name here, came to Pennsylvania Sept. 26, 1737, from Germany, and was accompanied by Nicholas Rattge, a relative. Both names were written by a cleric and that of Elias was spelled Ratgen. Tra­dition says he was related to John Jacob Radge, who arrived in Philadelphia Dec. 3, 1740, on the ship "Robert and Alice”, Capt. Goodman, com­mander. Elias Rattge settled at once in Robeson Township, Lancaster County, and Nicholas in Al­bany Township, Berks (then Philadelphia) County, and on Nov. 28, 1750, the latter received a war­rant for fifty acres in Philadelphia County. He was a farmer, but little is known of him. He died in 1760, leaving a widow, Maria Ann Ursula, and children Elias (died in Greenwich Township. Berks County, in 1773) and Anna Margarete.

In 1750 Elias Rattge (or Redche) secured a warrant from the proprietaries of Pennsylvania for sixty-five acres of land in Robeson Township, Lan­caster County; in 1752 this township was trans­ferred to Berks County. On Oct. 28, 1765, he pur­chased 140 acres adjoining the sixty-five, and there he farmed until 1773. On June 12, 1773, he sold his property at Gibraltar to his only son, Elias, Jr., and moved to Cumru (now Brecknock) Town­ship, in what was called “the Forest". There he purchased 134 acres, through which ran the Alle­gheny Creek, and on the banks of that stream he erected a sawmill, which he conducted successfully until the time of his death. He also followed farming on this land. He died in 1786, aged about seventy years, and is buried at St. John's Cemetery, Gibraltar - a part of his old farm. Elias Redche was twice married. By his first wife Elizabeth he had the following children: (1) Elias, horn in 1745, married April 6. 1773, Elizabeth Hunter, of Oley (born in 1752, died Jan. 11. 1816), and died Jan. 3. 1829. (2) Barbara married John Kendall. (3) Mary, born Aug. 5, 1747, married May 28, 1770, Gottlieb Christian, and died in 1832. (4) Catharine, born April 22, 1756, married Sept. 5, 1773, Christian Krauss, and died Feb. 14, 1809. (5) Elizabeth married Frederich Rapp Sept. 20, 1770, and died before 1786. Elias Redche married (second) March 21, 1773, Rosina Zigler, widow of Adam Zigler. They had no chil­dren, and at his death in 1788 she married Chris­tian Eschelman, a neighbor. 
RATTGE, Elias (I543)
Biography: Elias Redcay, Jr., only son of Elias, lived in Robeson Township, Lancaster County, PA, where he carried on farming and conducted a sawmill. He carried on opera­tions on the two tracts which he had purchased from his father in 1773, up to 1804, when he decided to sell out. He was an extensive dealer in land and a large property owner, owning several good farms and a few timber tracts on which he operated sawmills. On April 29, 1791, he and his wife deeded to Valentine Geiger and Herman Umstead in trust for the inhabitants of this sec­tion a tract of land containing one acre, ten perches, it being part of the land he had purchased from his father. This land contained the private burying ground of the Redcays, who in later years allowed people of their section to bury their dead there. It was the intention to have a church built there, but this was not done until 1809, and it is known as St. John's Lutheran and Reformed Church. It is said that a log church was on the property be­fore the present church was built. All Christian congregations which contributed to its support were allowed to worship in the building, and they were also to maintain and keep the graveyard. Late in life Elias Redcay lost most of his competency, through disastrous financial investments. He was a member of the General Assembly from Exeter in 1805-1806, and during the Revolution­ary war he served as a lieutenant of militia from Pennsylvania in Capt. Adam Beard's Company, 3d Battalion, Lieut. Col. Jonathan Jones. He was a great reader and delighted to tell stories of the war. He died Jan. 3, 1829, and is buried in the old Redcay burying ground. On April 6, 1773, Elias Redcay married Elizabeth Hunter, born 1752, died Jan. 11, 1816, and their children were: Henry, born Aug. 13, 1775, married Mary Catharine Neykirk, of Exeter, born Jan. 25, 1779. He died May 22, 1848, and she Sept. 3, 1842, and both are buried in the Muddy Creek Cemetery in Lancaster county. (2) John. (3) Elias, born Dec. 28, 1782, married (first) Jan. 29, 1809, Sarah Harner of Exeter. She died and was buried in Muddy Creek cemetery, and he married (second) July 16, 1826, Elizabeth Strauss, of Bern, born Feb. 12, 1790. He passed away Jan. 28, 1867, and she died Aug. 19, 1875, and both are buried at Adamstown, Lancaster county. (4) Elizabeth married Samuel Ludwig, of Cumru, and they moved to Missouri in 1832. (5) Maria married June 9, 1805, Jacob Ludwig. 
REDCAY, Elias Jr (I541)
Biography: John Redcay, son of Elias, was born in Robeson Township, Berks County, about 1779. On April 10, 1810, he, with his father, purchased a farm of John Barr, of Exeter Township, which they farmed until 1823, when they sold out. He then moved to a farm near Schwartzwald in Exeter, which had a clover mill on it. There he remained until his death in 1836, and he is buried in St. John's graveyard at Gibraltar. About 1807 he married Esther Rhoads, of Amity Township, Berks County, and they had children as follows: (1) Mary, born Oct. 14, 1807, married Thomas Lewis. (2) Betzy, born April 10, 1809, married Pete Romig, and died Oct. 16, 1851. (3) John, born April 25, 1810, married Phoebe Schrack, born Oct. 31, 1817, died Feb. 13, 1854. He died in July, 1848. (4) Daniel, born Feb. 1, 1812, married Abby Kint, and died June 1, 1890. (5) Jacob, born June 13, 1816, died unmarried Dec. 18, 1898. (6) Catharine married John Lewis. 
REDCAY, John (I539)
Biography: On Aug 3, 1807 he was commissioned captain of the 6th Company, 112th Regiment of the Militia of Pennsylvania, by Gov. Thomas McKean, and he served with that rank in the War of 1812. He was proprietor of the old Fort Jenkins Inn. He and his wife came to Columbia County from Berks County and passed their years here. They were buried on the old Hill homestead, and later removed to the Lime Ridge Cemetery. 
HILL, Capt. Johann Friedrich (I5897)
Leeson’s History of Montana 1735-1885 published in 1885, Page 1123

GALLATIN COUNTY – Horatio Nelson Gage

was born near Isherwood’s Corners, August 18, 1825, and lived in Cambridge township until 1854, at which time he accompanied his brother, Walter R., and his brother-in-law, Daniel Smith, who were then emigrating with their families to Wisconsin. Here he became acquainted with Miss Eliza Blood, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of John Blood, of Cornplanter, Venango Co., Pa., to whom he was married in the fall of 1855.

Two years later the three families again took an overland route, and pitched their tents in the then “bleeding Kansas.” After having lived in Kansas a few years, in the spring of 1860 Mr. Gage again moved with his family, and located near Denver, Col., there engaging in stock business for some years. He thought it was getting too thickly settled in Colorado, and rounding up his herd he started for the Yellowstone country, locating in that valley in 1874. At that time it was a wild country. Mr. Gage feared encounters with the Indians, and to protect his family he built his houses so he could go under the ground in four different places where he had port holes at the top of the ground some distance from the house. For twelve months they never saw a white woman, and very seldom saw a white man.

The next fall old Fort Pease was established, and there was a little travel with hunters and trappers, and mail was carried once a week by soldiers. Gage’s Station was the first home station from Fort Ellis. The soldiers of Ellis tried to induce Mr. Gage to move back to the settlements, but he replied that he came there to stay and make it his home, and he went to improving his ranch when he had to keep a man on guard on the hill back of their house while he was at work. Men were killed on both sides of him, and he had horses stolen and cattle killed immediately in front of him, but Mr. Gage being a very cool man stayed upon his ranch and kept on improving it. In 1875 the mail was carried by the government (P. P. Clark being contractor) by pony express three times a week, Gage’s Station being home station from Bozeman. The country from that time began to open up. Mr. Gage died in 1878, of ulceration of the lungs, leaving a widow and seven children to mourn his loss. Mrs. Gage still stays at their old location, Gage’s Station, where she is engaged in raising stock and farming. She lost a son, Stephen Gage, by drowning, in the Yellowstone river in 1879. Two daughters, Clara and Edena, are at St. Vincent’s Academy, Helena.  
GAGE, Horatio Nelson (I5041)

NOVEMBER 9, 1940

Death Of Miss Esther Shields

Retired Missionary Nurse Dies at Midnight at Home in Lewisburg

Miss Esther Lucas Shields, 71, retired missionary nurse, who served 40 years in Korea under the foreign mission board of the Presbyterian church, died at midnight at her home, 240 North Third Street, Lewisburg.

Miss Shields had been in ill health for the past year and was confined to her room with a complication of ailments since mid-August. She was born December 26, 1868, in Kelly Township, Union county, a daughter of the late William and Katharine Angeny Shields. Following her public school training she took the nursing course at the Philadelphia General Hospital, which she completed In 1891.

After a year of graduate work at the same hospital, she followed her profession at St. Timothy's Hospital, Roxborough, and devoted three years to private duty. In 1897 Miss Shields left for Korea, where she was assigned to the Royal Korean Hospital at Seoul. Her first year was devoted to the study of the language and in 1898 she become a regular member of the hospital staff.

In 1906 Miss Shields organized the first nursing school at the hospital which from that time was known as the Severance hospital. Her work as supervisor included the training of young nurses and social service work in the hospital dispen­sary.

Miss Shields continued In that capacity for the remainder of her missionary career, with the exception of 15 months spent in Sun Chan and four furloughs, ranging from one to two years. Her retirement became effective late in 1938 and she returned to Lewisburg in May, 1939.

Miss Shields, since returning to the United States had spoken before many groups, relating to her interesting and varied experiences In that backward little country.

Miss Shields was supported on the mission field by the board of the Utica Presbyterian Church at Utica, New York. The deceased was a member of the Old Buffalo Presbyterian Church until
the congregation was disbanded and at the time of her death was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Lewisburg.

Surviving are a brother, W. Scott Shields, of Milburn, N.J., and two sisters, Miss Charlotte E. Shields and Miss Ellen H. Shields, both at home.

Funeral services will be conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at her late home. The Rev. Edward L. Junkin, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church at Lewisburg, will officiate. Burial will be made in Lewisburg Cemetery. 
SHIELDS, Esther Lucas (I273)
Obituary: Arvin M. Edwards, a respected citizen, died at his home, 237 Bank street, at about 6 o'clock Sunday morning, of appoplexy, at the age of 66 years, 6 months and 15 days. Deceased is survived by his wife and seven children - four sons and three daughters, viz: Emory, Herbert and Herman, of this city, Dwight, of Buffalo; Mrs. James Orwig and Mrs. Gilbert Gross, of this city, and Mrs. Archie Main, of Hydetown. Deceased had nineteen grandchildren and one great grandchild. He was stricken on Friday afternoon, and remained conscious for about three hours, after which he became unconscious and remained so until the time of his death. He was born in Erie County, this state, and in February, 1848, was married to Julia Gage. Mr. Edwards came to Titusville in 1867, and engaged in the occupation of teaming, having several teams engaged for a number of years and gained quite a competence. The funeral will take place from the family residence at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev.'s John Lusher and F.W. Lockwood, officiating.

Titusville Herald, 19 Feb 1894, Titusville, Pa. 
EDWARDS, Arvin Miller (I8053)
Obituary: Mrs. Julia Edwards, aged 72 years, relict of the late A. M. Edwards, died at about 3 o'clock this morning at her home on Bank street after an extended illness. Deceased is survived by seven children-E.A. Edwards, H.S. and H.C. Edwards, Mrs. James Orwig, Mrs. Clara Malin, Mrs. G. Gross, all of Titusville, and Dwight Edwards, of Buffalo, NY. Mrs. Edwards was a resident of Titusville for more than thirty-three years and was a consistent member of the M.E. Church.
Titusville Herald, 15 Jan 1900, p. 3, Titusville, Pa 
Death of Mrs. Julia Edwards 
Yesterday morning, the Herald made a short notice of the death of Mrs. Julia A. Edwards, at her home on East Bank Street, South side. Although for many years her health had been gradually failing, yet she was able to give attention to her home until about five weeks ago, when she was prostrated upon a bed of great suffering. During this period of her final sickness, every thing was done for her that attentive medical skills could accomplish, yet from the first, but little relief from pain was obtained, and up to the last she suffered greatly. Her death seemed to be caused by a complication of diseases.
Mrs. Edwards was one of the older residents of Titusville, having spent nearly thirty-two years here, enjoying the association of a large circle of friends. She was born in Cambridge, Crawford County, Sept. 27, 1827, and received her education in the schools of her native town and from study in the Waterford Academy, Erie county. After finishing her education, she taught school. On Feb. 2, 1848, she married Arvin M. Edwards, whose former home in Cambridge was but a short distance from that of her own. Her father, Richard Gage, a native of Vermont, was one of the pioneer settlers of that section, coming there in 1818, and felling the trees when much of the surrounding country was covered by the primitive forest.
In early life, Mrs. Edwards possessed a beautiful voice and evinced a rare degree of musical talent, and she was widely known for the fine tone of her singing. In August, 1868, with her husband and their young family, she came to Titusville, where she has been a constant and respected resident, residing twenty-eight years in the house where she died. Her husband passed away six years ago, since which time she lived in the constant companionship of her family. Her disposition was naturally cheerful and she looked hopefully on the bright side of life, thus making her companionship much sought after by all who knew her. When a young girl, she became a member of the Methodist church and continued to commune with that sect up to the last.
Her family comprised eight children - one, a girl, dying in infancy - four sons and three daughters surviving her.  She leaves twenty-one grandchildren. She also leaves one aged brother, Orange Gage, who resides in Kansas. The funeral will be held at the late residence Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.

Titusville Herald, 16 Jan 1900, p. 2; Titusville, Pa 
GAGE, Julia Ann (I5042)
He was the oldest son of James and Mary Brown Hammond, was born in Turbot township, Northumberland county, Pa., March 8, 1791, and died at Sumption's Prairie, St. Joseph county, Ind., October 16, 1867. His life was spent chiefly in the pursuits of the farmer; after his marriage he settled in Nittany Valley, near Salona, now Clinton county, Pa., where he remained about ten years.

In 1833 he started with his family for the West, with the intention of locating at Fort Dearborn (now Chicago, Ill.), but on arriving at South Bend, Ind., some of the members of his family were taken seriously ill and they were consequently detained at that place, which was then but a small village.

In looking about he became favorably impressed with the surrounding country and concluded to locate there, and in the spring of 1834 settled on "section 6," at Sumption's Prairie, about seven miles from South Bend, and continued to reside there the remainder of his life.

The surroundings of the new home were not the most desirable, as the country was sparsely settled and there were many Indians of the Potawatomie tribe roaming about, and the frequency of their visits was a source of much annoyance. Mr.Hammond was a man of high moral character, an intelligent and successful manager, and greatly esteemed by all who knew him. He was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian church at Sumption's Prairie and for many years was an elder of that church.

In 1828 General Hugh Brady, who was then in command at Fort Dearborn, visited the place of his nativity, in Pennsylvania; Mr. Hammond having contemplated removal to the West, and hoping to benefit by the General's knowledge of the country, consulted him regarding it. The General advised him to "go to Fort Dearborn, or as near to it as he could get, and buy all the land he could, for there is sure to be a large city there some day." Then, the only houses there were those of the garrison. Now, the accuracy of the prediction is abundantly verified. 
HAMMOND, Matthew Brown (I8515)
Hugh McCormick (2d), was born in Ireland in 1725. He married Sarah Alcorn, daughter of James and Mary Alcorn, of Cumberland county, Pa., and they had nine children, one of whom was Seth McCormick, who was born in Paxtang township, then Lancaster county, Pa. in 1756. About the year 1770, Hugh McCormick (2d) purchased thirteen hundred acres of land in White Deer Valley, and two of his sons, Seth and Thomas, settled upon it .

Here Seth McCormick married Margaret Simmons, daughter of Samuel Simmons and Margaret Plunkett, of Buffalo Valley, and a niece of Dr. Plunkett, whose name is prominent in the early history of Northumberland county.

Seth and Margaret Simmons McCormick had ten children, as follows: Robert, born 1782, died 1874, married Nancy Foresman; Hugh, born 1784, died 1826; Samuel, born 1787, died 1864, married Elizabeth Piatt; Seth, born 1789, died 1821, married Hannah Hammond; Thomas born 1791, died 1818, married Maria Hammond; Sarah, born 1793, died 1874, married Robert J. Foresman; John, born 1797, died 1871, married (1st) Hester Coryell, (2d) Sarah Bush, (3d) Sarah Brown; Cynthia, born 1800, died 1880, married Samuel Eason; Susan, born 1802, died 1883, married Matthew B. Hammond; and Joseph, born 1805, died 1876, married Margaret Schooley. 
MCCORMICK, Seth (I8533)
In 1802 Joseph Hammond established a hotel in a frame house on Front street in the upper part of Milton. He was an innkeeper, was an excellent judge of horses, and introduced improved breeds among the farmers. 
HAMMOND, Joseph (I7289)
In the name of God Amen the eighth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty four, I Mathias Wenrich Sr. of Tulpehoccon Township in the County of Berks and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania yeoman, being at present very old, infirm and sickly in body, but of perfect mind and memory, Thanks be to God therefore, calling unto mind the mortality of my body, and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Dye, do make and ordain this my last will and testament; That is to say principally and first of all, I give and recommend my Soul into the Hands of God who gave it, and for my body I recommend to be buried in a Christian like manner, nothing doubting that at the General Resurrection I shall receive the save again by the mighty power of God, to bless me in this life, I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.
Item: It is my will and I do order that in the first place all my just debts and funeral charges be paid and satisfied. It is my will and I do order that the sum or sums of money which my son Mathias owes or is indebted to me yet, for a certain plantation which I have sold or granted to him, as will appear by a certain indenture, shall be equally divided amongst my eight children following, that is to say my sons John, Thomas, Michael, Francis and my daughters Elizabeth the wife of John Ache and Susannah the wife of Peter Shaffer, or their heirs. I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Judith one cow, one bed with bedstead and all other things thereto belonging, the small chest, a spinning wheel, the small iron pot and iron pan, tea kettle, pepper mill, two pewter plates and 1/2 dozen spoons, six earthen pots and two dishes, one iron ladle, two teacups and saucers, a table, her hymn books, all the flax, tow, wool and yarn spun which I shall gave, two sheeps, two chairs, one tub, one bucket and a half-----casts, a two gallon cask, one glass bottle, all which foregoing articles shall be in full for my beloved wife Judith one third share of my personal estate, and to have no further demand for the same. It is my will and I do order that the remainder of my personal estate shall be sold upon the public Vendue after my decease and the money arising shall be equally divided amongst my aforesaid eight children, or their heirs.
It is my will and I do order that the plantation whereon I now live situate in Tulephoccon Township in Berks County shall be let or rented out for the halfs, and the other half part and income of said plantation I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Judith so long she remains my widow and no longer--also to live in the small spring house, the liberty of the barn to put her cattle and provender therein and to have fire wood from the same the tenant has, so much as she has need of, all the aforesaid half which I did devise unto my beloved wife, shall be delivered unto her as customary, that it is to say the grain when threshed and the hay to be put in the barn, which shall be in full for her widow dower.
And it is my will and I do order that after my wife should dye or marry again, that then my aforesaid plantation shall be sold upon public vendue, empowering hereby my herein named executors to grant to such purchaser or purchasers such title or conveyance as required by law, and the money arising from the sale of my aforesaid plantation shall be equally divided amongst my aforenamed eight children or their heirs and representatives. 
WENRICH, Johann Mathias (I398)
Johan Matthias Wenrich (Venerick) was the son of Balthasar Venerick (1670-1740) and his wife Elizabetha. They came from Edigheim, Germany, to Rotterdam, Holland, in spring of 1709 with their four children (Maria Elizabeth, Hans Georg, Johan Matthias, and Johann Wendel). In Rotterdam they met British agents who pursuaded them to immigrate to America. In the fall of 1709 they moved to London in preparation for this migration. Finally, in spring of 1710 they sailed for America, settling first in upper New York and eventually moving down to Berks County, PA.

Johann Mathias Wenrich took a naturalization oath in 1744 to England, and the Oath of Alligeance in 1777 to his new country, the United States of America. Seven of his children were baptized at the Little Tulpehocken church.  Some members of the family are buried at Northkill Churchyard, north of Bernville. Matthias purchased land in 1739 on Spring Creek (later Furnace Creek) near Robesonia in Heidelburg Township, from Conrad Weiser. On 28 November 1747 he was warranted 248 acres in Heidelburg Township known as parcel 34 and called "Venericka". This land was surveyed in 1768 and patented 9 June 1772. In 1767 he was taxed on 100 acres, 2 horses, 2 cattle, and 4 sheep. In 1774 Johann Matthias deeded part of his homestead, known as "Venericka", to son Mathias and moved to Tulpehocken where he died 5 January 1785. 
WENRICH, Johann Mathias (I398)
Johann Balthaser Wenrich's baptism was sponsered by his grandfather Balthaser Wenrich and grandmother Maria Magdalena. His name was also found on a tax list from 1754 and was in the first census in 1790. He acquired the west part of the homestead. At the time he was taxed on 260 acres along with horses, cows, sheep, a still and saw mill. He died interstate and was buried at Christ Lutheran Church, Stouchsburg, PA. The birth and baptism of two sons were recorded at St. Daniel's Church, Robesonia, PA. 
WENRICH, Johann Balthaser (I397)
Nothing definite is known regarding the place of birth or the early life of James Hammond, but it is highly probable that he was descended from one of the Hammond families which emigrated from England to the New England colonies at an early period.

He was a farmer by occupation and they resided on a farm in Turbot (now Delaware) township, Northumberland county, on the road now leading from Dewart to Watsontown. About the year 1799 they removed across the Susquehanna, to White Deer Valley, where they acquired considerable property, and where they continued to reside during the remainder of their lives.

Mr. Hammond was one of the company commanded by Hawkins Boone, which went from Boone's Fort, on Muddy Run, July 29, 1778, to the relief of Fort Freeland, on Warrior Run, Northumberland county, when it had been attacked by the British and Indians; and he was one of the few of that heroic band who escaped death. For several years previous to his death he was afflicted with paralysis, which was eventually the cause of his death, February 20, 1831. His remains are buried beside those of his wife, in the cemetery at the Stone church.

They were Presbyterians, and for several years attended the Warrior Run church, where they, together with John Brown, Esq., and George Hammond occupied a pew for which they paid an annual rental of one pound fourteen shillings and sixpence. They afterwards united with the congregation of the Log church, which occupied the site of the present stone structure on the south side of Penny Hill in White Deer Valley. Mr.Hammond was an elder of the Log church. 
HAMMOND, James Jr. (I7218)
On December 6, his (Brigadier General Stephen Watts Kearny) command met and was nearly decimated by a body of Mexican soldiers under Gen. Andres Pico at San Pasqual, about 40 miles from San Diego. In the engagement Kearny had 300 men, composed of Volunteers and Companies B and C of the 1st Dragoons. The enemy was charged by Capt. Abraham Johnston with the advance guard. Captain Johnston was shot fatally at the commencement of the action. Captain Moore pursued the retreating Mexicans but his horses were tiring. Seeing the lagging mounts, the Mexicans turned and charged with lances. Forced back, Moore was killed just before the final retreat. Lieutenant Hammond, two sergeants, two corporals and ten dragoons died also. The flagging mules of the rest of the men finally caught up with the battle and Kearny routed the enemy.

The price was high. In the action the Dragoons lost three officers: Capt. Benjamin Moore, who had arrived at Fort Scott with the first contingent of Dragoons and commanded until October, 1842; Capt. Abraham Johnston, a close friend of Swords and frequent visitor to Fort Scott; and Lt. Thomas C. Hammond, who was assigned to Fort Scott in 1843. Fourteen dragoons were killed and almost all with lance thrusts. General Kearny and two other officers were wounded in the engagement. By the end of December, General Kearny with Company C of the Dragoons had occupied Los Angeles. 
HAMMOND, Lt. Thomas Clark (I942)
Susan McCormick was a daughter of Seth and Margaret Simmons McCormick, born in Lycoming county, Pa., May 5, 1802. She shared the toils and hardships of pioneer life with her husband; lived an exemplary Christian life and was a member of the Presbyterian church for fifty years. After her husband's death she continued to reside at the homestead, at Sumption's Prairie, with her daughters, Eliza Ellen and Caroline. 
MCCORMICK, Susan (I8554)
The progenitor of the McCormick family was James McCormick, of Londonderry, Ireland. Among other children, he had two sons, Hugh and Thomas, both of whom came to America about 1735, and settled in Lancaster (now Dauphin) county, Pa.

Hugh McCormick, who was born in the Province of Ulster, Ireland, about 1695, married and had four children - John, James, Samuel and Hugh. The youngest son, Hugh McCormick (2d), was born in Ireland in 1725. He married Sarah Alcorn, daughter of James and Mary Alcorn, of Cumberland county, Pa., and they had nine children, one of whom was Seth McCormick, who was born in Paxtang township, then Lancaster county, Pa. in 1756. About the year 1770, Hugh McCormick (2d) purchased thirteen hundred acres of land in White Deer Valley, and two of his sons, Seth and Thomas, settled upon it .

Here Seth McCormick married Margaret Simmons, daughter of Samuel Simmons and Margaret Plunkett, of Buffalo Valley, and a niece of Dr. Plunkett, whose name is prominent in the early history of Northumberland county.

Seth and Margaret Simmons McCormick had ten children, as follows: Robert, born 1782, died 1874, married Nancy Foresman; Hugh, born 1784, died 1826; Samuel, born 1787, died 1864, married Elizabeth Piatt; Seth, born 1789, died 1821, married Hannah Hammond; Thomas born 1791, died 1818, married Maria Hammond; Sarah, born 1793, died 1874, married Robert J. Foresman; John, born 1797, died 1871, married (1st) Hester Coryell, (2d) Sarah Bush, (3d) Sarah Brown; Cynthia, born 1800, died 1880, married Samuel Eason; Susan, born 1802, died 1883, married Matthew B. Hammond; and Joseph, born 1805, died 1876, married Margaret Schooley. 
MCCORMICK, Hugh II (I8537)
The progenitor of the McCormick family was James McCormick, of Londonderry, Ireland. Among other children, he had two sons, Hugh and Thomas, both of whom came to America about 1735, and settled in Lancaster (now Dauphin) county, Pa.

Hugh McCormick, who was born in the Province of Ulster, Ireland, about 1695, married and had four children - John, James, Samuel and Hugh. The youngest son, Hugh McCormick (2d), was born in Ireland in 1725. He married Sarah Alcorn, daughter of James and Mary Alcorn, of Cumberland county, Pa., and they had nine children, one of whom was Seth McCormick, who was born in Paxtang township, then Lancaster county, Pa. in 1756. About the year 1770, Hugh McCormick (2d) purchased thirteen hundred acres of land in White Deer Valley, and two of his sons, Seth and Thomas, settled upon it .

Here Seth McCormick married Margaret Simmons, daughter of Samuel Simmons and Margaret Plunkett, of Buffalo Valley, and a niece of Dr. Plunkett, whose name is prominent in the early history of Northumberland county.

Seth and Margaret Simmons McCormick had ten children, as follows: Robert, born 1782, died 1874, married Nancy Foresman; Hugh, born 1784, died 1826; Samuel, born 1787, died 1864, married Elizabeth Piatt; Seth, born 1789, died 1821, married Hannah Hammond; Thomas born 1791, died 1818, married Maria Hammond; Sarah, born 1793, died 1874, married Robert J. Foresman; John, born 1797, died 1871, married (1st) Hester Coryell, (2d) Sarah Bush, (3d) Sarah Brown; Cynthia, born 1800, died 1880, married Samuel Eason; Susan, born 1802, died 1883, married Matthew B. Hammond; and Joseph, born 1805, died 1876, married Margaret Schooley. 
MCCORMICK, Hugh (I8539)
The seven sons of William Daugherty all fought under Washington at one time or another during the Revolutionary war. After the war Captain John Daugherty returned to his farm on Muncy Creek, and was fatally stabbed by a knife in the hand of a bond boy whom he was correcting for some negligence. His lamentations when dying was that after fighting Indians, the British, and Hessians for so many years, he should be killed by a boy. 
DAUGHERTY, John (I8456)
This church and cemetery are now on the grounds of the Allenwood Federal Penitentiary. In addition to the gravestone, there is a Revolutionary War Marker - Private, Pa. Militia. 
HAMMOND, James Jr. (I7218)
This indenture, made the sixteenth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six between Henry B. Hill & Mary Hill his wife of the town of Lockport in the County of Niagara & state of NY of the first part, and Elias M. Moyer of the same place.

Witnesseth, that the said parties of the first part, in consideration of the sum of three hundred and thirteen dollars, by these presents do grant and convey to the said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns, all that tract or parcel of land situate in the town of Lockport, being the south part of Lot number (57) fifty seven & the north west part of Lot number fifty six, Township 14, Range seven of the Holland Land Company land (so-called), Bounded as follows, Beginning at the East line of said lot No. 57 at a point 49 chains and ten links South from the North East corner thereof and running thence West parallel with the North line of said lot and bounding on land conveyed by Wilhem Millink and others to Robert Hawley 58 chains 24 links; thence South bounding on Lots Nos. 68 and 67, nineteen chains & 91 links to a post 8 chains and 68 links South from the North West corner of said Lot No. 56. Thence east parallel with the North line of said lot number 56, 88 chains & 68 links distant South therefrom 28 chains 95 links; thence North parallel with the East line of said Lot, at the distance of 29 chains West therefrom 8 chains 68 links; then east along the North line of said Lot 29 chains; thence North along the East line of said Lot No. 57 - eleven chains & five links to the place of beginning, containing eighty nine acres & 93/100 of an acre be the same more or less.

This grant is intended as a security for the payment of the sum of Three Hundred and thirteen dollars and interest as follows: the said principal sum in one year from the date hereof with interest thereon payable semi-annually on the 16th days of December and June. According to the condition of a certain Bond this day executed and delivered by the said Mary Hill to the said party of the second part; and this conveyance shall be void, if such payment be made as herein specified. And in case default shall be made in the payment of the principal sum hereby intended to be secured, or in the payment of interest thereof, or any part of such principal or interest, as above provided, it shall be lawful for the party of the second part, his executors, administrators and assigns, at any time thereafter, to sell the premises hereby granted or any part thereof, in the manner prescribed by law; and out of the monies arising from such sale, to retain the amount then due for principal and interest, and also the amount to become due, together with the Costs and Charges of making such Sale. And the surplus, if any there be, shall be paid by the party making such Sale, on demand, to the said Mary Hill her heirs and assigns.

In witness whereof, the parties of the first part adhering to set their hand and seal the day and year first above written. 
HILL, Henry Beck (I131)
Thomas Daugherty, of Allentown, was born Dec. 20, 1836, at Beaver Meadow, then Northampton (now Carbon county), Pennsylvania. The founders of the family were the parents of William Daugherty, who settled in Bucks county, Pa.

William Daugherty afterward removed to the West Branch of the Susquehanna river, locating a few miles above Milton, where he followed farming on Muddy Run. In connection with his son-in-law, Marcus Hulings, he built and operated the first keel-bottom boat ever taken on the Susquehanna river to tidewater. The boat was built at Muddy Run. Marcus Hulings was the great-great-grandfather of General W. J. Hulings, of Oil City, Pa., and who is prominently identified with the Pennsylvania National Guard, and is a member of the State Senate.

William Daugherty fought for a time in the French and Indian war, and became a member of the Warrior Run Presbyterian church. He married a Miss Means, a representative of one of the pioneer families of Kentucky, and the Means house in Towanda, Pa., was founded by a representative of this family. Their sons were John, Samuel, James, Abel, Robert, and probably Henry. Of the daughters, one married Marcus Hulings, one William McGrady, and one John Campbell. The sons and the sons-in-law of William Daugherty were prominent in the early history of Pennsylvania, and made splendid records as patriots. 
DAUGHERTY, William (I8454)
46 a member of the State militia, with the rank of brigadier general. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1817 as a lieutenant. HAMMOND, Gen. Robert Hanna (I589)
47 It may have been mumps or chicken pox, both of which can cause hearing loss. CHAPIN, Benneville Haag (I996)
48 "Enochsons on Delaware" article by George E. McCracken printed in "The American Genealogist" in Apr.-Oct. 1961?

Her probable maiden name Stressinger/Stiessinger, doesn't appear mentioned until after she married Andris Souplis, but she and Andris had to have been married in the U.S., not in Europe, as Gertrude and her first husband, Garrett Enochson, were married somewhere in Europe, as their first son Enoch Enochson was b. ca. 1670 probably in Europe and the Enochsons didn't come to U.S. until after 1677, as his name is not on the 1677 Tax list. Garrett bought land May 29, 1683 in Kingsessing Twp., Philadelphia Co., Pa. They had 9 possible children and he died before July 2, 1696.

Their known children:
1. Enoch born ca. 1670 probably in Europe married Susannah Friend
2. David married Eneanor Steelman ca. 1721 and he died after 1737 near
Wilmington, Del.
3. John married Brigitta Jestenburg ca. 1689
4. Henry married Susanna
5. Catherine married ____ Smith
6. Mary married Henry Griffith
7. Elizabeth married 8/11/1720 Jacob Supplee her step brother and she died
1/1/1748 or 49
8. Gertrude
9. Julianna 
MANSSON, Goetra (I4557)
49 (indexed as Kamer) KRAUSER, John E. (I940)
50 (indexed as Olda) OLDS, Otto Earl (I6644)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 27» Next»