Notes


Matches 201 to 250 of 1,180

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
201 Sunbury American, July 27, 1867 (Saturday)

On Wednesday a man, who assumed the name of Edward Spencer, and who said his home was in Harrisburg, was taken to jail by the constable of Milton. He was charged, on oath of Albert Cadwallader, with committing a burglary in Cadwallader’s house, in Milton, early on Wednesday morning. He was caught in the act of robbing the house by Mr. Cadwallader’s mother, an old lady, (64) who seized him and cried for help, and had the prisoner secured. His person was searched, and a pair of gold spectacles belonging to the plaintiff were found. He confessed his guilt. 
CADWALLADER, Albert (I81)
 
202 The Samuel Horning Family History by Jennie Agatha Horning:

Samuel Horning was born December 13, 1856, in Allentown, Allen Co., OH. He died July 25, 1925, aged 68 yrs. 6 mo. He married October 31, 1878 at Shambaugh, IA to Fannie Gehman, born February 19, 1858, in Pleasant Valley, Bucks Co., PA. She died November 18, 1922, aged 64 yrs, 2 mo. Both died at the home of their daughter, Jennie Carson in Nampa, ID and are buried there.

Samuel Horning met Fannie Gehman at Shambaugh where the family moved in 1864. The Gehman family came in about 1878 (NOTE: Sarah Gehman, Fannie's younger sister, was born in Fayette Co., IA in 1862) to join a Mennonite church and colony. They lived with or near the Horning family. Four children - Benjamin F. (1880), Jacob Lee (1881), Edwin G. (1882), and Jennie A. (1884) were born in the same house in Shambaugh. In 1885, they moved to Crab Orchard, NE, east of Beatrice. Later they moved to Pickrell, Gage Co., NE, where Alice L. was born (1888) on hard Scully Lease, consisting of ½ section of land. Here they joined the Disciples of Christ (Christian) of which they were members until their deaths. In 1890 they moved to Nelson, Nuckolls Co., NE, driving a herd of cattle. When they reached Nelson, the cows were thirsty, and a lot of them mired down in the river's edge. We lived between the river and railroad track, not far from town, and section hands helped pull them out.

In 1893, they moved on to Laramie, WY, then to Grand Junction, CO. In the summer of 1897 they moved to Paonia, CO, where they had 100 acres of land near the mountains, with fruit pasture and cattle. They lived there until they went to Midvale, ID in 1914, where he had traded for a large dry farm. Ed still owns the farm, and his son Glenn and family live there.

Samuel and Fannie lived in Salem, OR about a year, returning to Idaho in 1922, having crossed the U.S. almost from ocean to ocean during their lives. 
HORNING, Samuel (I4789)
 
203 WILLIAM W. SUPPLEE - If those who claim that fortune has favored certain individuals above others will but investigate the cause of success and failure it will be found that the former is largely due to the improvement of opportunity, the latter to the neglect of it. Fortunate environments encompass nearly every man at some stage of his career but the strong man and the successful man is he who realizes that the proper moment has come. The man who makes use of his "now" and not "to be," is the one who passes on the highway of life others who perhaps started out ahead of him. It is this quality in Mr. Supplee that has gained him an enviable position in the business world and made him widely known as the president of the leading wholesale hardware house of the east.

The ancestral history of the Supplee family covers a long connection with America. The great-grandfathers of William W. Supplee came to this country in 1685, landing at New York. They were Huguenots or Protestants, who preferred to leave their native country rather than renounce their religion. Three brothers of the name accompanied by their families therefore sought religious liberty in the new world and one of these, Andrew Supplee, sometime after their arrival on the western continent, was appointed to an important position of honor and trust under William Penn.

The grandfather of William W. Supplee secured a large tract of land on high ground a few miles from Norristown and gave tangible proof of his interest in education by erecting a schoolhouse on his place near the present Norris city cemetery, which was known far and wide as the Supplee schoolhouse. His son, John Supplee, was engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods for a number of years but following his removal with his family to Norristown engaged in teaching school in the building erected by his father. He afterward secured the position as postmaster of Norristown, acting in that capacity for several years and held other offices of honor and authority. He and his wife together with six other people were organizers of the first Methodist church in Norristown and John Supplee contributed generously toward the erection of the house of worship. He reached the venerable age of ninety-two and a half years, while his wife died at the age of eighty-nine and a half years. One of his sisters lived to the remarkable old age of one hundred and two years and these facts indicate that the family is noted for longevity. There were three sons in the family of John Supplee, the brothers of William Supplee being J. Wesley Supplee, formerly president of the Corn Exchange National Bank of Philadelphia, and Enoch H. Supplee, who at one time conducted a large school for girls and subsequently entered the ministry.

William W. Supplee began his education in the little schoolhouse which his grandfather had built and continued his studies at Tremont Seminary in Norristown, after which he made his initial step in the business world with a good firm in that city and there learned considerable concerning business. He afterward came to Philadelphia and for two years was in the employ of one of the leading commercial enterprises of this city. His employer then died, leaving the business to his wife and son, and Mr. Supplee was authorized to attend to the wife's portion. At length he determined to go west in company with a former schoolmate. Mr. Lloyd, who had come to Philadelphia at about the same time as Mr. Supplee. The latter informed his firm that he would leave in six months' time and on the expiration of that period joined Mr. Lloyd in a trip to the west in 1854. They visited several places but decided to engage in business at La Crosse, Wisconsin, opening a small stock of goods in the store building that was erected for them. Soon, however, they bought out two old established stores there and thus further increased their business. On the failure of a large house of that city they were offered its stock, with payment in a year. They were much surprised at this proffer of time and asked why it was made. The answer was that replies to letters which they had written to Philadelphia making inquiries about Mr. Supplee and Mr. Lloyd were perfectly satisfactory, so that they felt safe in granting the year for the payment of the goods. The transaction was completed and Mr. Supplee and Mr. Lloyd then rented a large building and continued their business, which not only extended throughout Wisconsin but also into adjoining states.

While in La Crosse Mr. Supplee was married to a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey T. Rumsey, who had removed to that city some time before from Buffalo, New York, Mr. Rumsey becoming one of the successful business men of La Crosse. While their business was conducted with profit in La Crosse Mr. Supplee and Mr. Lloyd determined to return to Philadelphia and here in 1867 bought out the firm of Conrad & Walton and began operations in this city under the firm of Lloyd, Supplee & Walton. For two years afterward, however, they conducted their store in the west and at the end of that time became special partners and financed the enterprise for some years longer. Subsequently they purchased the interest of Mr. Walton in their Philadelphia store, continuing the business under the style of the Lloyd & Supplee Hardware Company until 1889, when Mr. Supplee purchased Mr. Lloyd's interest and the business was re-organized under the name of the Supplee Hardware Company. Mr. Supplee then became and has since continued president of the house and his son William D. Supplee was treasurer of the company until his death. The jobbing business of the Supplee Hardware Company is very extensive and is represented upon the road by a large number of traveling salesmen, their ramifying trade interests being continually extended over a constantly broadening territory. There are a few western hardware jobbers who, being in a more favorable location for the western trade, do a somewhat larger business but the Supplee Hardware Company is the largest wholesale hardware house in the east. Mr. Supple gives much of his time and attention to the development and control of the enterprise and its rapid and substantial growth is largely attributable to his unfaltering energy his marked business sagacity and his ability to formulate and execute practical plans.

Mr. Supplee's experience has not been confined alone to the hardware trade. Upon the death of his brother, J. Wesley Supplee, then president of the Corn Exchange National Bank, he was made vice president of the institution. He became one of the organizers of the National Hardware Association of the United States, was made its first president and so continued for four years, devoting much time and thought to its development and to the prosecution of his purposes. After resigning the presidency he was placed on the advisory board, which is composed of bank presidents and on which he has since served. His firm were among those who organized the Trades League of Philadelphia, now the Chamber of Commerce, many years ago, and the organization which began with a membership of only about forty has today over twenty-five hundred members enrolled. Following the resignation of Mr. Foulkrod as president of the Trades League Mr. Supplee was chosen his successor and so continued for two years. Previous to and since that time he has been a member of the board of directors and chairman of the finance committee of that organization. He was greatly interested in forming the Hardware Merchants and Manufacturers Association of Philadelphia and at his request his partner, Mr. Lloyd, was made the first president. Later Mr. Supplee was chosen to that position and has since been a member of the board of directors. He is also interested in the Philadelphia Bourse, of which he is a director, and many years ago he became connected with the Philadelphia Museum, of which he is a director and also chairman of the executive committee. Soon after his return from the west he joined the Union League, the membership of which was about one-third of what it is at the present time. He has also been a member of the City Club since its organization and is a valued representative in those societies where executive ability and keen discrimination are factors in the successful management and growth. He is well fitted for leadership, for his judgment is sound and he is seldom if ever at fault in rating the value of an opportunity. He is often seen "where men do most congregate" for the discussion of themes of vital interest to the city and throughout his life has been actuated by a public spirit that has ever sought the welfare and upbuilding of Philadelphia. 
SUPPLEE, William Wright (I650)
 
204 Written by Ruth Chapin Hill in 2009

Sarah was nicknamed Teddie. She was born in 1885, the eldest child of Hettie Haag and Clarence Augustus Chapin.

When I was a little girl, Mother (Ruth Young (Chapin) Hill) told me that Teddie had studied shorthand and typing as a young woman and worked as a secretary. (This is a very hazy memory and may be wrong.)

Many years later I learned that Teddie had had an affair, short lived I understood, with Lloyd Woodling. They eventually ran away to get married, couldn't find a justice of the peace, and gave up on the idea. That was the end of it. When Teddie discovered she was pregnant, she informed Lloyd Woodling. By that time, he was engaged to someone else. He offered to break the engagement and marry Teddie, but she refused. The baby was born at the home of family friends in Philadelphia on January 21, 1921. Teddie named him David L. Wilson.

David was raised in a foster home, served in the air force in World War II and Korea, and graduated from Penn State. He and his wife, also a Penn State graduate, had four children, 2 boys and 2 girls. Soon after his birth, he was seriously ill and spent time in Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. That may be why Teddie trained as a nurse at Children's Hospital.

Teddie did private duty nursing. Back in those years you registered with individual doctors and were employed to nurse their patients. Teddie was registered with doctors on the Main Line. There was a young Italian doctor who had married an Italian girl and brought her over to the States. They had a son. The wife was homesick and returned to Italy to visit her family and show off her son. (Teddie learned later that the wife never returned to her husband.) Teddie was hired to go along as nurse for the infant son. That was probably in the late 1920s.

They sailed for Naples on the Conte di Savoia, first class. Teddie thought Naples was fabulous. From Naples they went by train to Florence. Apparently the wife's family was well-to-do, aristocratic although not noble, and lived in a huge old palazzo. After a grimy train trip, the American nurse naturally expressed a wish to take a bath. The big elegant palazzo had no indoor plumbing for the bathtub. The servants had to heat water down in the kitchen, carry it up in buckets and pour it into some sort of tub. The elegant, austere family patriarch officiously saw to the filling of the bath, repeatedly swishing his hand through the water to check on its temperature and announcing when it was ready.

When it was time to leave Florence, Teddie traded in her first class return ticket, bought a third class ticket from Cherbourg or Le Havre on the Ile de France, and spent the difference in seeing Paris, including the Follies Bergere. My mother, her sister, was scandalized.

In the early 1930's Teddie accompanied an asthmatic boy to the southwest. It was thought at the time that the dry desert climate was good for asthmatics. They flew first to Albuquerque, New Mexico. On the flight, a motor of the plane caught fire and they had to make an emergency landing. Her patient saw no improvement in Albuquerque, so they went on to Tucson, Arizona, where Teddie stayed at least a year. As I remember, she didn't like the heat of the desert southwest.

At the end of the job, having saved her money, she flew down to Mexico on some small airline that had no terminal facilities. If you needed the "facilities" when they made local stops, you left the plane and went out behind a bush.

She stayed at a small inn in Mazatlan. The owners had a pet boa constrictor. One morning Teddie got up and found the snake resting in the shade of a tree. About a foot or so below its head there was a large bulge. When Teddie asked about it, the owners informed her that the snake had eaten the pet cat! There were no screens on the windows and Teddie's room was on the ground floor. She didn't sleep well, waking often expecting to see the snake slithering into her room.

Visiting us, she talked about the boys who dove off cliffs to retrieve coins. She talked about Popocatepetl, the mountain outside Mexico City. She talked about Lake Xochimilco and the floating gardens. She sailed from Veracruz to New York City. Mother and I went in to meet her ship in the spring of 1935.

Teddie nursed in the DuPont family on a number of occasions. Once, when I was quite sick and she came to visit, she had somehow inveigled her spoiled brat patient to part with one of his many toys and she brought me clay of some sort. At some time, an older female member of the DuPont family was driving in New York State, Staten Island, if I remember correctly. There was a bad accident and the elderly lady was in the hospital for weeks, too shattered to be moved home. The DuPonts did not trust the New York nurses, and Teddie was not authorized to nurse in New York State. Trusting Teddie, they hired her to oversee the licensed nurses in the hospital. Teddie admitted that was a difficult job, checking on fully competent nurses for the DuPonts.

A friend of Teddie's was a nurse for General George Goethals, after whom the Goethals Bridge on Staten Island was named. He was also the engineer officer who built the Panama Canal. The friend went on vacation, so Teddie took the job for two weeks.

Another friend, Esther Niedermyer (later her partner in the Chapin-Niedermyer dress shop), nursed Elliot Roosevelt's first wife when she was pregnant. She was an heiress and decided she needed care because she was "sick".

At some time in her career Teddie was governess to Christine Cromwell. There was a wealthy couple named Cromwell who had two children, a son and a daughter. The daughter, Louise Cromwell Brooks, married, divorced, went to France in World War I and was reputed to have been General Pershing's mistress. While in France she met and eventually married an officer on the general's staff, and became General Douglas MacArthur's first wife. They were later divorced.

The Cromwell son was James H. R. Cromwell. He married the heiress to the Dodge motor car fortune, Delphine Dodge. They had a daughter, Christine Cromwell. They divorced. Later, James Cromwell married Doris Duke, the "richest girl in the world", heiress to the Duke tobacco fortune.

Eventually the Cromwell father died and his widow married E.T. Stotesbury, a senior partner of J.P. Morgan & Co. and head of Drexel & Co., a multi-millionaire of that era. He was socially prominent and eminently acceptable in Main Line society. His wife was not! The story goes that old E. T. forced her acceptance through his clout in the banking world: issue and accept invitations or else!

Teddie entered the picture because James Cromwell and Delphine Dodge were divorced. Delphine had custody of their daughter most of the year. When Christine was with her mother she was actually cared for by a French governess, Ma'mselle. When she went for some shorter period of time to stay with her father, she actually went to live with her grandmother, Mrs. E. T. Stotesbury at Whitemarsh Hall on the Philadelphia Main Line. During World War II the treasures of the British Museum were evacuated and stored secretly at Whitemarsh Hall. The Hall no longer exists. In its place now is a housing development.

Mrs. Stotesbury did not like Ma'mselle, so when Christine came to stay, Grandmother got rid of the French governess and hired Teddie to serve in that capacity for the duration of Christine's visit.

There were many stories about Mrs. Stotesbury's silliness. Every morning Mrs. Stotesbury would hold court in her boudoir, stretched out on an elegant chaise lounge. The heads of all the departments would appear in order and outline their plans for the day. When it was Teddie's turn, Mrs. Stotesbury would hear her out and then assign whatever car was necessary for her plans for the day.

Evenings, when Mrs. Stotesbury went out, her personal maid would bring the appropriate wrap to the head of the grand staircase and hand it to the footman. The footman would carry the wrap down the stairs and turn it over to the butler. The butler would then present the wrap to Mrs. Stotesbury's escort, who would help her on with it. What a production!

Teddie did not stay long in that position. Christine missed Ma'mselle so desperately that she got sick. Her doctor finally insisted that Mrs. Stotesbury make peace with Ma'mselle and bring her back to care for Christine. Teddie left.

Before she left, she was asked to return later and take the case when Christine had her tonsils out. Teddie refused. She said she was used to taking responsibility for the lives of her young patients, but she refused to take responsibility for the millions of dollars that Christine represented. That was all her doting family was interested in.

When the Dodge grandfather died, he left his daughter, Delphine, some funds in trust, but the bulk of his estate went to his granddaughter, Christine.

Hettie Haag Chapin died February 13, 1935. Teddie was executrix of her mother's estate. By 1937 she had retired from nursing and opened a dress shop across from the movie theater in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in partnership with Esther Niedermyer. After a number of years, Teddie gave up the dress shop, and Esther bought her out.

Retired in Lewisburg, she was known to have been a children's nurse. At some time someone came to her and asked if she would take on a case at the State Industrial Home for Women in Muncy, the state prison for women. A prisoner was due to give birth and they wanted Teddie to attend the birth and look after the infant until they figured out what to do with it. She accepted. Then she returned again when a second prisoner was due to give birth. Eventually she went to work at the prison as a warden.

Mother and I visited, and Teddie took us around. It was an open-campus arrangement and sat far back from the road with open farm fields all around. There were cottages, dormitory-like buildings, not particularly large as I remember. The rooms were pleasant, very much like a dormitory - bed, desk, chair - curtains, bedspreads, etc. - except, of course the prisoners were locked in at night. The inmates worked on the farms, canned some of the produce. In one basement, I remember, there was a large sewing room where some of the inmates made uniforms for prisons.

Teddie talked a lot about the inmates and the security measures. While there were no walls, the prison was relatively isolated and most of the prisoners were city girls. If one escaped, the state police would be notified and they would send cars to specific locations where the girls were likely to turn up. While Teddie was there, only one escape succeeded through sheer brazenness. A car drove up to the front of one of the cottages, the prisoner walked out and got in, and off they went! She was not recaptured, at least not before Teddie left.
Teddie was fascinated by the inmates, girls from such brutal backgrounds. Her stories were an eye-opener and an education for me. One inmate Teddie compared to Hedy Lamar, the movie star. She was gorgeous, in prison for every crime except murder. Another girl was convicted of having chopped up her sister's illegitimate baby. Yet another inmate, middle-aged and a teacher's wife, had become suspicious of her husband. She followed him one night to his little love-nest, and shot him dead. Her only regret was that when she got out of prison she would be too old to marry again.

There were riots, too. In one, Teddie was thrown down some steps and broke her wrist. It never healed properly, her hand was slightly angled after that. She retired from the prison in 1951. She had moved to Muncy by that time. From then on she worked at odd jobs, for a while part time in a gift shop. Mother and I visited that shop. Teddie was enthused about the odds and ends that were sold there.

Eventually Teddie gave up and moved to a Presbyterian retirement home. She died in 1963 at the age of 78. 
CHAPIN, Sarah Haag (I997)
 
205  D  E  E  D -  SETH CADWALLADER & WIFE, JOHN SNYDER & WIFE, ROBERT R. HAMMOND & WIFE TO ROBERT H. HAMMOND
This indenture, made the 28thday of April, A.D. 1830, between Seth Cadwallader and Elizabeth his wife, lateElizabeth Hammond, John Snyder and Margaret his wife, late Margaret Hammond,and Robert R. Hammond, and Anna his wife, heirs, legal representatives ofGeorge Hammond late of Turbot Township, in Northumberland County, dec'd. of theone part, and Robert H. Hammond, of the same township and county, of the otherpart, Witnesseth: that the sameparties of the first part for and in consideration of the sum of two thousanddollars to them in hand paid by the said Robert H. Hammond at or before thedelivery hereof, the receipt whereof they do hereby acknowledge, have granted,bargained, sold, aliened, released and confirmed unto the said Robert H.Hammond, and to his heirs and assigns, all and singular, that certain tract,piece and parcel of land situate in township of Turbut, in the County ofNorthumberland.
 
HAMMOND, George (I79)
 
206  D  E  E  D -  SETH CADWALLADER & WIFE, JOHN SNYDER & WIFE, ROBERT R. HAMMOND & WIFE TO ROBERT H. HAMMOND
This indenture, made the 28thday of April, A.D. 1830, between Seth Cadwallader and Elizabeth his wife, lateElizabeth Hammond, John Snyder and Margaret his wife, late Margaret Hammond,and Robert R. Hammond, and Anna his wife, heirs, legal representatives ofGeorge Hammond late of Turbot Township, in Northumberland County, dec'd. of theone part, and Robert H. Hammond, of the same township and county, of the otherpart, Witnesseth: that the sameparties of the first part for and in consideration of the sum of two thousanddollars to them in hand paid by the said Robert H. Hammond at or before thedelivery hereof, the receipt whereof they do hereby acknowledge, have granted,bargained, sold, aliened, released and confirmed unto the said Robert H.Hammond, and to his heirs and assigns, all and singular, that certain tract,piece and parcel of land situate in township of Turbut, in the County ofNorthumberland. 
HAMMOND, Robert R. (I1097)
 
207 A church record from "Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Milton, Parish Registers 1818-1909" lists her given name as Catharina. She changed it to Catharine, which appears in other records. BECK, Catharina Susan (I119)
 
208 A church record from "Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Milton, Parish Registers 1818-1909" lists his given name as Johannes. He shortened it to John, which appears in other records. His middle name may have been Kohler, his mother's maiden name. HILL, Johannes K. (I118)
 
209 Abner may have come to Exeter, N.H. with his father. The records show that
he bought land in Exeter in 1728. He was a corporal in the company of Capt.
Daniel Ladd in the "march after the enemy toward Winnipiseogee Pond" on May
17, 1724. 
THURSTON, Abner (I3912)
 
210 Abner was born in Exeter, N.H. He enlisted in the Revolutionary War on March
20, 1777, in Capt. Wait's Co., Col. John Stark's Regiment. He was paid a
state bounty of 20 lbs. On Jan 22, 1778 he was in Capt. Farwell's Co., Col.
Joseph Cilley's Regiment, became a corporal, and is reported to have been
killed in action. 
THURSTON, Abner (I3908)
 
211 About the middle of the last (18th) century Hugh and James McConkey, two brothers of pure Scotch-Irish origin, emigrated from North Ireland to America. Hugh purchased land and located in Lancaster County, Penn., and James went to Baltimore. MCCONKEY, Hugh (I8613)
 
212 Abraham and Leah Fretz Angeny lived on property known as Angeny's Mill, in Bedminster Twp. (Bucks Co., PA) until the spring of 1848, when they moved to Union Co., PA., and later (1859) to Milton, Northumberland Co., PA, where Abraham perished in the great fire of Milton in 1880, in his 78th year. He was a carpenter and cabinet-maker by trade, and he and Leah were Mennonites. Leah was the daughter of Martin Fretz, of Hilltown.

Source: A Brief History of Jacob Wismer, by Rev. A. J. Fretz, 1893, Mennonite Publishing Co., Elkhart, IN 
ANGENY, Abraham (I103)
 
213 Abraham Browne came to Mass. in the Winthrop fleet of 1630, and was one of the
first settlers in Watertown. He was admitted freeman 6 Mar 1631/32. He was
a surveyor, selectman, and was appointed to lay out all the highways and to
see that they were repaired. In 1638 it was ordered that all lots should be
measured and bounded by Abraham Browne. He received land in the first
division and more in subsequent ones. 
BROWNE, Abraham (I3497)
 
214 According to John Riley's will, he originated from Norfolk, England. The
first record of him in America is from a land record in 1643, where he
purchased land in Wethersfield, CT. His cattle ear-mark was recorded in the
Wethersfield town records. 
RILEY, John (I2148)
 
215 According to the death record of Andreas Werner (Warner), he was born in Saxonia, WARNER, Andreas (I3078)
 
216 According to this census, her parents were both born in Ireland. HAMMOND, Jane Chestnut (I1096)
 
217 According to Wexford Co. vital records, George and Flora McArthur lived near
Sherman, Mich. in 1901. The 1910 census shows them living near Vanderbilt,
and Clinton was working as a fireman on the railroad. By 1920, they were
living in Wakefield Twp., Gogebic Co., and Clinton was working in a lumbercamp
Sometime after this, they moved to Mesick in Wexford Co. Flora may have died
in this area, possibly around 1930. 
MCARTHUR, George Clinton (I948)
 
218 Adam was convicted of burglarizing an A&P grocery store and sentenced to prison. He was trying to retrieve a check that he considered to be his. Evelyn divorced him while he was in prison. Family F89
 
219 Address given is 2173 McDougal Ave., Hamtramck, Wayne Co., MI. POTRZUSKI, Alexander (I6560)
 
220 Address was 518 Willis Street, Detroit, Wayne Co., MI. KRZYMINSKI, Leonard (I8788)
 
221 After her father died in 1858, she lived with her uncle, Rev. Enoch Hooven Supplee. SUPPLEE, Anna Louisa (I82)
 
222 After his first wife's death, he married Catharina Popp, who was also from Germany. Family F88
 
223 After his wife died in 1899, David Jenkins took care of his children financially, but wasn't around much between 1900 and 1921 while they were growing up. His work was out of the area, and sometimes out of state. He and his son Herbert were not in agreement on goals and education. His final parting with his son was in a hospital during David's final illness. David threatened to disinherit him and told him to leave. Herbert looked back to see his father in tears.
 
JENKINS, David John (I113)
 
224 After Homer's death in 1895, Sophia remarried to: Alexander J. Matthews. They
moved to Marshalltown, IA, then to Washington and Oregon. Sophia died in
Orting, WA, which is the same town that the soldier's home is in, where
Francis A. Warner lived. Since she was the wife of a veteran (Homer R. Hill)
she may have lived in the soldier's home. 
RAICHE, Sophia (I2284)
 
225 After the death of her husband, Rebekah apparently left the farm and went to live with her sister, Anna Elizabeth (Gage) Vaughn, in Lansing, MI. Rebekah's death certificate shows that she was living at 413 Barnes Ave. in Lansing at the time of her death, and that she died of tuberculosis. GAGE, Rebekah Barbara Ann (I209)
 
226 After the death of Roger Sumner, Joane married Marcus Brian of the nearby
parish of Morton. Marcus Brian died in 1620. Joane apparently died before
April of 1650, because her son, William, returned to Bicester, England to
settle affairs of the estate. 
FRANKLIN, Joane (I2621)
 
227 After the formation of Chillisquaque and Derry townships Turbut included, in addition to its present area, the townships of Delaware and Lewis and a portion of Montour county (Limestone township); the taxable inhabitants of this territory in 1787 included James, David, and George Hammond. HAMMOND, George (I79)
 
228 After the formation of Chillisquaque and Derry townships Turbut included, in addition to its present area, the townships of Delaware and Lewis and a portion of Montour county (Limestone township); the taxable inhabitants of this territory in 1787 included James, David, and George Hammond. HAMMOND, Lt. David (I968)
 
229 After the formation of Chillisquaque and Derry townships Turbut included, in addition to its present area, the townships of Delaware and Lewis and a portion of Montour county (Limestone township); the taxable inhabitants of this territory in 1787 included James, David, and George Hammond. HAMMOND, James Jr. (I7218)
 
230 Aged 27 years, 3 months, 9 days. HAMMOND, Lt. Thomas Clark (I942)
 
231 Agnes I. (Sandy) Chapin Sharp, 92, of Penn Lutheran Village, Selinsgrove, died Monday, Jan. 28, 2002, in the Sunbury Hospital.

Sandy, daughter of Edward Barry and Ida Wylie, was born Nov. 11, 1909 in Milton.

Sandy was preceded in death by her first husband, Benneville Haag Chapin of Milton and Philadelphia, and her second husband, Allen G. Sharp of Lock Haven.

Family and friends are invited to a memorial service, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2002, at 11 a.m., in First Presbyterian Church, Milton. Rev. Steve Shirk will officiate. Family members will meet late in the afternoon in Lock Haven for a “Celebration of Life.” Interment will be in the Highland Cemetery. Funeral arrangements are under the guidance of the Yost-Gedon Funeral Home. 
BARRY, Agnes Isabelle (I4269)
 
232 Ahimaaz remarried in 1833. Family F919
 
233 Ahimaaz Sherwin moved with his parents to Winchenden, MA when he was about 10 years old. SHERWIN, Ahimaaz (I2837)
 
234 Albert lived with his parents until his marriage to Mary in 1885. He then
became a steam engineer. In 1900 they were living in Tallmadge Twp., Ottawa
Co. Albert and Mary had 6 children. When Albert was 67 years old, he became
ill with cancer, and, because of the disease, became deranged. He shot his
wife, Mary, and then turned the gun on himself. They both died instantly.
They were living at 736 Fairview, N.E., Grand Rapids, at the time. 
WARNER, Albert T. (I1748)
 
235 Alfred Moll, uncle, born 1845, is listed with this family. This may be the husband of Mary A. Koch, Anna's sister. Mary is not listed. BRAUTIGAM, Daniel Meyers (I576)
 
236 All four children were living with her. HAAG, Hester (I249)
 
237 All of his children were born on a farm settled by their father, and lying about 1 mile east of the old Paradise farm settled by John Montgomery Sr. MONTGOMERY, Robert (I7780)
 
238 All six children are listed with the family. OBERT, John W. (I4611)
 
239 All surviving children are listed at home. CHAPIN, Augustus Stoughton (I4344)
 
240 Also Aiken, SC. BAKER, Robert Clinton Jr. (I1100)
 
241 Also known as Middle Tuscarora Presbyterian Cemetery. CADWALLADER, Robert Irwin (I847)
 
242 Amandus Gold One of Few Survivors of Libby Prison Horror

The funeral of Amandus Gold was held this afternoon at two o'clock from his late home at McEwensville where he lived for many years.

The deceased was seventy-eight years old. He served his country in the preservation of the union of the states as a corporal in the Fifty Third Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers Infantry. At one of the great battles of the war he was captured. He was one of the few survivors of the horrors of the Libby prison.

There were thirteen children in this family, four sons being soldiers at the same time.

Mrs. Abraham Redcay, of Park Avenue, Mrs. Painter, of Lewisburg and John L. Gold, of Youngstown, Ohio, are the surviving sisters and brother. Three sons also survive this veteran citizen. Comrade Gold was a highly respected resident of the community in which he lived.

Milton Evening Standard
December 20, 1921, Page 3
Milton Public Library, Milton, PA 
GOLD, Amandus (I5662)
 
243 American Mechanics Cemetery was established August 5, 1848 on the NE side of Ridge Ave. at 22nd & Diamond St. in Philadelphia.

He was removed to Philadelphia Memorial Park, Malvern, PA on 9 July 1951. The grave is unmarked. Owner of the lot is Mrs. Sarah E. Wharton, his mother. Sarah and Garnett are the only ones buried in the lot. 
SPINDELL, Lueling Garnett (I641)
 
244 Ami and Hattie Pequegnat were divorced prior to 1907. She appears in the 1907 Riverside City Directory as living at 1009 Pine St., while Ami lived at 590 Walnut St. The 1910 census shows Hattie E. Pequegnat, age 42, divorced, with her son, Justin, age 14, and her mother, Emily Broadhead, age 72. This is the last record that I can find of Hattie. She may have remarried. Her death and place of burial are unknown. BROADHEAD, Hattie Emmogene (I10050)
 
245 Ami was born in Loveresse, Switzerland, and emigrated to America with his mother. The 1880 census shows him living with his parents in St. Louis, MI. Gratiot Co. land records show a mortgage, dated Aug. 1, 1890, for Frank and Ami (of Columbus, OH). He and Hattie Broadhead were married in St. Louis on 14 Aug. 1891. When Frank and Pauline Pequegnat and their other sons moved to Riverside, CA, Ami stayed in St. Louis--probably to manage the jewelry store. He is shown in the 1900 census and the 1901 Gratiot Co. Plat Book Index. He apparently moved to Riverside, CA shortly after this, since he is in the Riverside City Directory published in the year 1905. There is a tombstone in the St. Louis cemetery for an Emelie Pequegnat--died 1907, age 3 years. It is possible that this could be a daughter of Ami and Hattie, and that the little girl died while on a return trip to Michigan. Ami and Hattie were divorced shortly after this. Ami remarried to Viva Hall on 15 Jan. 1908. They remained in Riverside for a few years. By 1917 they were in Long Beach, CA. The 1920 census shows them living in the Redlands District, San Bernardino, CA. The following year they were back in Riverside. This is where they stayed, and where Ami and his son, Donald, are buried. PEQUEGNAT, Ami (Auhm) W. (I10045)
 
246 An immigrant from England, whose homestead is recorded in 1641 in
Wethersfield. The will of John's father-in-law, Richard Treat, mentions a
John Deming, Sr., which may be referring to the father of this John Deming.
John was a deputy at various courts, and in 1656 was one of a committee "to
give the best safe advice they can to the Indians". He was a prominent man
in the affairs of the Conn. Colony, and was a man of more than ordinary
intelligence, and possessed of some education. 
DEMING, John (I3026)
 
247 Andrew G. Larson
GILBERT - Andrew G. Larson, 90, of 1947 N. 41 1/2 Road (old Manton Road), died Saturday [16 FEB 1974] at Mercy Hospital in Cadillac where he had been a patient for two weeks. He had been in failing health for several years.
He was born June 3, 1883, in Gilbert and lived all of his life at the same residence.
Mr. Larson attended elementary school in Gilbert and was self-employed as a clock maker and a watch repairman. He attended Gilbert Lutheran Church.
Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Lutheran Church in Gilbert. Rev. Richard C. Nelson of Lake City will officiate. Interment will occur in the spring in the Gilbert Lutheran Cemetery.
Friends may call anytime at Peterson Funeral Home in Cadillac.
Brother of Axel Wilhelm Larson 
LARSON, Andrew Gust (I10279)
 
248 Andrew lived on his parents farm until about 1893. He then was employed at
the Michigan Veteran's Facility as a cook. In 1901, he married Eva Jackman,
who was also a cook. Before 1907 he had a farm and 80 acres on Cannonsburg
Rd., where the ski area is now located. 
WARNER, Andrew J. (I1747)
 
249 Andrew Supplee was born in Germantown in 1688, came to Upper Merion township in 1712, and lived either in Upper Merion or in Norristown township up to the time of his death in 1747. SUPPLEE, Andrew (I4556)
 
250 Andrew Warner is located here in the 1810 census. WARNER, Robert (I1757)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24» Next»